2020 SERVICE MEMBERS OF THE YEAR, PRESENTED BY MILITARY TIMES
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1) Eligibility: Service Members of the Year (the “Contest”) is open only to people nominating (the “Nominators”) and those being nominated (the “Nominees”) who are 18 years old at the time of entry. The Contest is further only open to Nominees who are legal residents of the 50 United States, who are U.S. active military, a member of one of the military reserves, in the National Guard, or a veteran. Employees of Military Charity Organization, Sightline Media Group LLC (the “Contest Organizer”), Military Times, their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, suppliers and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible to be a Nominee. Editorial staff members of Sightline Media Group LLC are allowed to participate as a Nominator. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2) Agreement to Rules: By being a Nominator, you agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these rules, and you represent and warrant that you and your Nominee meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, you agree to accept the decisions of Sponsor, as final and binding.
3) Contest Period: Nominations will be accepted starting December 15, 2019 and ending February 28, 2020. All online entries must be received by February 28, 2020 11:59PM EST. The Contest Organizer reserves the right to extend the Contest Period.
4) How to Enter: The Contest must be entered by submitting a Nominee through the online entry form at servicesmembersoftheyear.org. The entry must fulfill all Contest requirements, as specified, to be eligible for selection. Nominations that are not complete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Contest Organizer. Nominators must fill in all information requested. If you use fraudulent methods to enter or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules your submission may be removed from eligibility at the Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Alternatively, to nominate someone, you may send all of the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your First Name, Last Name, Phone Number, and Email Address. As well as the following information about the Nominee: Nominee’s First Name, Nominee’s Last Name, Nominee’s Email Address, Nominee’s Phone Number, Nominee’s Branch of Service, Nominee’s Rank, Your Relationship to Nominee, Is the Nominee a current service member? Is Nominee a veteran? Is Nominee in the Reserves or National Guard?, and provide this information about the Nominee:
– In 500 words or less, please explain what makes your nominee a good candidate for Service Members of the Year. This can include what they did in uniform, as well as volunteering and charity work done outside of their military service. Stories about going above and beyond the call of duty, helping others, demonstrating courage or making a difference will help your nominee stand out.
– In 250 words or less, please describe your nominee’s military career, including deployments, special assignments, promotions, changes to military occupational specialties, military awards and decorations.
5) Prizes: Five (5) to seven (7) Nominees will be selected (the “Winners”). Winners will receive a prize valued at approximately $4,000 including: a complimentary trip to Washington D.C. for each Winner and one (1) guest including airfare and lodging, most meals, some local Washington D.C. excursions/tours, as well as an award presented at the 2020 Service Members of the Year event.
Airfare, lodging and activities booked will be at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Sponsor will make its best effort to book flights from the closest airport to the Winner. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize being awarded. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Sponsor. No cash or other prize substitution is permitted except at Sponsor’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes shall be the sole responsibility of the winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by winners is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6) Winner selection and notification: Winners of the Contest will be selected based upon any or all of the following criteria, and is determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion:
- Service members whose recent personal experience and achievements embodies the spirit of professional excellence, personal sacrifice and resilience that make the military great.
- Service members whose recent actions in their military career have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
- Service members whose recent personal experience highlights the changing needs and institutional agility that are essential to modern military readiness.
- Service members with significant off-duty community service work that highlights the non-institutional aspects of commitment to public service.
Winners will be selected by a committee comprised of Military Times editorial staff, past Service Members of the Year Winners, and other committee members at Sponsor’s discretion.
Winners will be notified via email to the email address that was submitted by the Nominator. Winners will be notified on or about May 1, 2020. Sponsor shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the award and prize within 72 hours from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CONTEST AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
7) Rights Granted by you: By entering this contest you understand that Sponsor, anyone acting on behalf of Sponsor, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the world, your entry, including, without limitation, the Nominator or Nominee’s information, the Winners’ name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the contest, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
8) Terms: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the contest. In such case, sponsor may select the recipients from all eligible nominations received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the contest or website or violates these Terms & Conditions.
Sponsor has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the contest, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to; multiple nominations from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple nominations from the same computer in excess of that allowed by contest rules; or the use of bots, macros or scripts or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law.
By entering the contest you agree to receive email newsletters periodically from sponsor. You can opt-out of receiving this communication at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
9) Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant’s participation in the Contest and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the nomination process or the promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the promotion or the processing of nominations.
10) Disputes: THIS CONTEST IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND DELAWARE, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Contest, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Delaware having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Contest), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
12) Winners List: To obtain a copy of the winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, For a list of winners (available after July 31, 2020) or a copy of these Official Rules, visit servicemembersoftheyear.org or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to “Winners List/Official Rules” (as applicable), Service Members of the Year, 1919 Gallows Road, Vienna, VA 22182. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Stephanie Gildea at email@example.com.
13) Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Contest is Military Charity Organization, 1919 Gallows Road, Suite 400, Vienna, Virginia 22182, United States of America.